Thursday, April 30, 2009

A friendly guy. These days Andrew amazes me with how outgoing and friendly he can be. Whenever we go places it seems he finds an opportunity to introduce himself....his sisters....and then of course his parents...Erin and Daniel. :) When I was his age if I saw a stranger whether young or old I'm pretty sure I hid behind my parents or a tree or whatever was close by, but not Andrew....he's so eager to meet new people and he seems proud to introduce his family. I love this about him. Most of the time he is received warmly by others and brings smiles to their faces, but not always. Yesterday we were at the park and a group of 4 kids ranging in age from 5 to 9 showed up and immediately Andrew was excited to go and play with them. He walked up to them and said "Hi, I'm Andrew what's your name?"....."This is my sister, Ashley, and there's Holly....etc. They gave their names and then Drew asked if he could play with them. They said sure and then ran up the stairs to the slides. Andrew quickly followed...and they appeared to be playing together until it became apparent that they were trying to ditch him. Another quality I love about Andrew is his innocence. While they were busy running away from him he was unaware and thought they were playing tag or just having him chase them. Daniel and I however were aware and I said to a few of the kids that "He only wants to play...you don't have run...or at least be nice" They continued however to try to run from him and after a while he seemed to be losing interest in playing with them. So, what do the kids do?.....they say "Hey Andrew we're over here on the slide...and we're waiting for you!" With an excited look on his face he runs up to the slide only to find them quickly sliding down and then running away. At this point I was livid....so I told Daniel I'd be right back and that I had a few things to say to these rotten heartless children. Usually I'm the one to speak out and say things that I might regret later in these situations but as I approached them Daniel passed me up and I heard him say "You're MEAN kids! That was horrible what you did and you know better! You don't have to play with him, but at least be nice and leave him alone! You owe my son an apology!" ....and he made them apologize. The galling thing was their mom was like 6 ft away the whole time and said nothing. I would have been so embarrassed if my kids treated another kid that way. The only thing scarier than a world with rotten kids....is a world with apathetic parents. Anyway, I know my kids aren't perfect, but I have an obligation to help teach them how to treat others and not just say "kids will be rotten kids"

No comments: